Monday, July 15, 2013

Funny Story

When I had my first prenatal appointment with my OB, Dr. Harrison sent me to the lab for general blood work- blood typing, make sure I don't have any crazy diseases, that sort of stuff. At my follow up appointment she was reading through the results and all the crazy diseases were negative, phew, and then she came to the blood type and she said A+. Well my whole life I've been B+, it says so in my baby book. So I said, "wait a minute, I've always been B+. My dad is O+ and my mom is B+. I can't be A+." So I was sent back to the lab to redo the test.

After about a week or so from the second blood draw, I looked up my second blood type results. Again, I came back as A+. Well it's a joke in my family that I'm a Spanish princess because I don't look a lot like my sisters. So I texted Johnny that I really was a Spanish princess and I was swapped at the hospital and then I had a bit of a melt down.

I sent my mom an email that was rather dramatic about what to do next. Well my mom told me to just calm down and she would look into this a little more.

My dad knew for sure that he was O+ because he used to donate his blood all the time and the blood bank workers always made a big deal about his blood type. My mom was pretty certain that she was B+, because well she had been all her life and she had delivered 3 babies, hadn't her doctors checked her blood type in case she needed a transfusion?

While my brother in law was out of town, my mom came down to my sister's house to help out in case she went into labor. While she was there my sister talked my mom into ordering a blood typing kit from Amazon. (I guess you really can buy pretty much anything online). A little while later, my mom sent me a text and well, much to my relief, my mom really was AB+. Yay, I wasn't swapped at birth!

It is rather a strange mental process to think you know something about yourself your whole life and then all of a sudden you find out you had it all wrong. 

Also, just in case anyone missed it one Facebook, it would appear that Johnny and I are expecting a baby girl!

Furthermore, I just wanted to say thank you to all our friends and family for your prayers and support through our fertility struggle. We are so lucky to have such wonderful family and friends! I have felt your prayers and your fasting on our behalf and am so grateful for your thoughts and the power of prayer. We are so thankful for your kindness and support!

1 comment:

Taylor and Kristin Williams said...

SOOOOOO happy for you two!!!

PS: The same thing happened to me!!! When I was pregnant with Julia, they took my blood and I always thought I was B positive but turns out I'm B negative. They had to do another blood test to confirm and everything! So funny that the same thing happened to both of us! Can't wait to see pictures of your pretty girl!!! :)